Distribution of Triatoma (Meccus) phyllosoma and Triatoma (Meccus) longipennis as vectors of Trypanosoma cruzi in the state of Aguascalientes, Mexico and surroundings
Chávez-Gómez, Rosa Isela
Carrasco-Esparza, Norma Adela
Hernández-Marín, David Alejandro
MetadataShow full item record
Chagas disease is transmitted by hematophagous triatomine insects of the Reduviidae family. These vectors tend to hide in dark and humid places in homes in the endemic areas, mainly rural in Latin America. The Mexican territory is considered a critical endemic area, in recent years; more than 34 species of triatomines have been described as carriers of the disease, mainly the genera Rhodnius, Paratriatoma, Eratyrus, Dipetalogaster, Belminus, Panstrongylus, Meccus, and Triatoma. In Aguascalientes and Zacatecas's states, the observationand capture of the Triatoma phyllosoma and Triatoma longipennis species have been reported over three decades. Recent studies show that both species belong to the genera Meccus. This work summarizes the capture, identification, and analysis of Triatoma (Meccus) phyllosoma and Triatoma (Meccus) longipennis species as vectors of Chagas disease in the towns of Palo Alto, El Terrero de la Labor, Temazcal, Piedras Chinas, La Labor, Ojocaliente, Malpaso, Las Cabras and the center of the municipality of Calvillo in the state of Aguascalientes, Apulco and Jalpa in the state of Zacatecas, during March to August of the year 2019. Of a total of 252 collected bed bugs, 44% presented positivity as a carrier of Trypanosoma cruzi. Simultaneously, the morphological identification showed that 66.66% corresponds to the M. longipennis species, and the remaining 33.34% is for the M. phyllosoma species.
Copyright © BUAP 2018. All right reserved.